Saturday, October 1, 2016

Gallery Visit #1

A.) Which artworks make an impact or impression on me? Why?
 Jehan Georges Vibert, The Marvelous Sauce. Oil on wood panel.1890.
This painting is absolutely amazing. The reason it made an impression on me was its attention to detail and realism. The lighting, physical features, and materials within the painting look authentic. The painting looks like a glossy photograph. 



 Albert Bierstadt. The Marina Piccola. Oil on canvas. 1859.
I stood in front of this painting for minutes on end. This painting gave me the impression of serenity and freedom. The sun breaking through the clouds and hitting the water out on the horizo. I thoroughly enjoyed this painting by Bierstadt



B.) Which artworks do I feel a connection with? Why?
Claude Monet. Chemin de halage a Argenteuil. Oil on canvas. 1875-76.
I felt a connection to this painting for a couple of reasons. My dad taught me about Monet as a child. I reminisced about those days as I looked at this painting. The other connection was the snowy bank by the water. It is similar to parks/waterways in and around Buffalo. It feels like home.


Joseph Kosuth. One and Eight--a Description [Blue]. Blue neon tubing. 1965.'
Since I was a child, I always loved the city atmosphere and neon lights. The piece is obviously bright and grabs your attention. What I enjoy about it is how humorous and blunt the words are that Kosuth made such as "letters" and "light." The satire and glow is what I connected to the urban lifestyle and my own personality.



C.) Which artworks would I like to know more about? Why?
Camille Pissarro. Paysans dans les champs, Eragny. Oil on canvas. 1890.
I wanted to know more about this because I wanted to understand the backstory. It is a French painting, but I am interested to know more about how people were treated in France compared to America at this point in history.


Tara Donovan Untitled (Mylar). Mylar and glue. 2007.
Donovan's work stood out to me and was just fascinating. Her work filled the display room. I wanted to learn more about it because I don't think that I have ever seen Mylar before. The material perplexed me and I wanted to learn more about it.

1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed the first photo that you posted in this gallery as you are spot on with the fact that is uses such good lighting and paints a very real picture. I also enjoyed the Camille Pissarro painting and agree that it is something that i would like to know. There seems to be some sort of story to that picture.

    Good work on the project!

    ReplyDelete